[rrd-users] Re: Export help

Todd Caine tcaine at eli.net
Thu Aug 12 00:12:23 MEST 2004

I'm not sure what the easiest way to do this is but I've been using "rrdtool xport" with a short Perl script to transform the XML data into a CSV file.  The Perl script uses the XML::Simple CPAN module so you would need to install both Perl and XML::Simple before giving this a try.

Here's an example of usage:

$ rrdtool xport \
    DEF:in_bytes=interface.rrd:ds0:MAX \
    DEF:in_bytes=interface.rrd:ds1:MAX \
    CDEF:in_bits=in,8,* \
    CDEF:out_bits=out,8,* \
    XPORT:in_bits:ingress \
    XPORT:out_bits:egress | xport_to_csv.pl > output.csv

Here's the contents of the xport_to_csv.pl script:

    #!/usr/local/bin/perl

    use strict;
    use warnings;
    use XML::Simple;

    my $xml_doc;
    {
        local $/;
        $xml_doc = <STDIN>;
    }

    my $xml = XMLin( $xml_doc );

    print join(",", 'timestamp', @{ $xml->{meta}{legend}{entry} } ), "\n";

    foreach my $row ( @{ $xml->{data}{row} } ) {
        print join(",", $row->{t}, @{$row->{v}}), "\n";
    }

    exit(0);

The output.csv file can be opened with Excel.

HTH,
Todd