[rrd-users] Re: New to RRD some questions

Serge Maandag serge.maandag at staff.zeelandnet.nl
Mon Aug 30 10:35:13 MEST 2004

> I´m new to rrd so far. I use it with nagstat (extension for nagios)
> to monitor cpu load memory usage and so on. Now i want to
> give the graphs another look, the only thing
> i see at the moment is a green line...  I saw the value for
> the color but is there a complete list of
> how i can design the line? Maybe filled line from bottom or
> change the color at 'break-even-point' to a critical area
> or something else? maybe dots or steps not just a line??

Basically you can draw 3 types of lines.
- basic lines, with a width of 1, 2 or 3
- area's, these are lines that get filled from the x-axis up
- stacks, these are area's on top of another line or area.

These are all described in http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool/manual/rrdgraph.html

If you want to change the color of your graph based upon some condition, you can do that with CDEFs.
What you basically do is draw a line when a certain condition is true and draw another line with different color when the condition is not true.

Dotted lines are not supported, you could draw a line in intervals based on time conditions, but that would be making it hard on yourself.

If you plan to do something else but basic lines, you should be reading up in the tutorials and the manual.
You can find them at http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool/manual/index.html

Serge.