[rrd-users] Re: rrdtool create

Georges Toth georges at norm.lu
Wed Dec 8 23:45:54 MET 2004

> Counter, or derive.

i would prefer not to recreate everything :-)
but as i read the rest of the mail, i would better doing so.
is it possible to keep the current data but somehow change from counter to
derive ?
like dump and restore ?

> You didn't set a proper maximum, or your counter increases to _almost_ the
> full value in one month.

i didn't set a maximum, that's correct.
the data it plotted... some hours before and some hours after... it contained
some PETA values etc...
very strange

> #1 Just before the counter gets reset, update your database. One
>    second later, update the database with "U" (for unknown).
>    Another second later (preferably exactly when the counter is reset)
>    update the database with zero.
>    This way you have the most accurate results

hmmm...

> #2 Use DERIVE as your datasource type.  When the counter is reset, RRDtool
>    will see this as a negative rate.  Tell RRDtool it should not accept
>    negative rates (minimum value set to zero)

that's probably the best way to go...
only wondering now if i can keep my old data... hope so :-/ ... ?

--

regards,
Georges Toth