[rrd-users] Re: Data acquisition for an RRD to store mail flow rates.

Allen Wooden allen.wooden at harboreast.net
Mon Feb 2 14:53:57 MET 2004

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 19:31:15 +1100, Stanley Hopcroft wrote:

>Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,
>
>Please would you suggest methods of capturing mail flow rate data for
>storage in an RRD ?
>
>The only thing that comes to mind is periodically reading the tail of
>the mail server log (each interval read from the last end of file to the
>current, and counting each record of a mail delivery).
>
>Is this what others do ?
>
>Eximstate is not an option since the problem MTAs are sendmail.
>
>I am interested in doing this to employ the aberrant failure detection
>(HW forecast) RRAs.
>
>Yours sincerely.

Don't know if your running SNMP on your mailserver but I use the
MTA-MIB that comes with Net-SNMP to gather some stats
from my sendmail servers.

But I'm not sure if that will give you what you want.

Later
Allen
Allen Wooden
Harbor East Hosting Solutions.

PGP key available at wwwkeys.pgp.net

PGP Public Key Fingerprint: 0F39 4768 579B 9421  5FD0 866C 4FA1 EB0B