[rrd-users] Re: mrtg with rrdtools

Alvaro Cornejo alvaro.cornejo at glenayre.com
Tue Feb 3 23:56:11 MET 2004

Hi

One of the differences between MRTG and RRD is that MRTG generates the traffic
graphs in a periodic basis (normally each 5min) and RRD generate them only when
needed. In both cases, MRTG and RRD, will overwrite the previous graph. This
means that in any moment you'll have only the graphs requested by your cfg file
(day, week, month, year) or whatever time interval you choose.

I don't see the necesity of backing up the graphs since they are a graphic snap
shots of your measurements. You can regenerate them when needed. What you should
backup are the data files that contains the information used to generate the
graphs.

Regards

Alvaro