[rrd-users] Re: RRD as a granular database

Serge Maandag serge.maandag at staff.zeelandnet.nl
Tue Feb 10 00:12:43 MET 2004

> I have been tasked with determining if in fact RRDtool can be
> made to store a years worth of data, not summarized.  We need
> to be able to pick a week and pull a graph of the week up
> representing that data (non-summarized).

You have at least 2 options:

- You define your RRD databases to have enough rows to hold
  a year worth of 1 pdp_per_cdp samples. Depending on the speed
  of your machines, the speed of your disks and the number of
  RRD's / DS's, your mileage may vary.
- You stick all your data in an (SQL) database and just before
  graphing, you fetch the data and stick it in a temporary RRD
  database. Use that one to make the graph. Not so good an option
  if you need to make graphs very often.

Serge.