[rrd-users] AW: Newbie help

Thorsten Volkmer-Wolf Thorsten.Volkmer-Wolf at aerotec.de
Tue Feb 24 14:44:44 MET 2004

Hi [putYourNameHere],

>> DS:rank:GAUGE:604800:0:U

should be "DS:rank:GAUGE:86400:0:U" (means if for more than one day there's no value delivered for the RRA then rrdtool will create a NaN value)

>> RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:7

means: take the average of the last "1" value (which actually is no average, that's obvoiusly what you want) and store 7 of them (which means you've collected one weeks values in the first RRA)

>> RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:7:4

means: take the last 7 values, build an average of them and store 4 of those averages. That would deliver a months (4 weeks) results, each averaged over one week.

>> RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:30:12

That seems wrong to me. You say to take the last 30 values and average them, but....there are no 30 values stored. For me it should read like this:

RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:4:12

which takes the last 4 values (you've not held more in the previous RRA), average them and store 12 averaged values, thus giving you 12 times four weeks (which isn't a year at all).

Correct me, rrd fellows, if i'm wrong.

Hope this helps,

	Thorsten

++