[rrd-users] Re: reasonable maximums

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Thu Jan 1 15:53:31 MET 2004

On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 02:14:09AM -0500, Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:
> Hi, I was unsure of how my graphs would be built initially, as I'm
> monitoring ipfw rules with a theoretical limit of 100 megs (although in
> theory the loopback can go faster, we'll assume it won't).
>
> It probably doesn't matter, but my counters return bytes, but the standard
> seems to be bits, so I'm multiplying the data * 8.

???

There's no reason to do one or the other except for your choice.  If you
feed the numbers as bytes to RRDtool, rates are calculated in bytes per
second.  When displaying those rates, you can display them in bits per
second just by multiplying at that time (CDEF).  You can also multiply
the numbers by 8, then feed them to RRDtool which will calculate rates
in bits per second.  Display that without calculations as bps or divide
the rates by 8 to get Bps.  It's just a matter of preference I think.

> With this in mind, what should I set my maximum as?  Is it as simple as
> 100 * 1024 * 1024 (104857600) or am I missing something that'll bite me
> in the behind later?

Mega is million.  Always, unless explicitly explained otherwise.
A byte is not always 8 bits.  In your case it will probably be.

If the maximum your network does is 100 Mbps, this means it will do
100,000,000 bits per second.  That's 12,500,000 bytes per second.

Either feed the counters as is to RRDtool and set a maximum rate
of 12500000 (or maybe a little more), or feed the counter values
multiplied by 8 and set the maximum to (a little more than)
100000000.

HTH
Alex
--