[rrd-users] Re: Printing tabs onto graphs (feature request)

Michael Reynolds wshs at delinked.us
Thu Jan 1 19:49:02 MET 2004

Michael Reynolds wrote:

> Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:
>

>>If I understand what you're trying to ask, you're looking for:
>>
>>In:       Current: 120.53MB/s  Average:  20.12MB/s  Max: 125.00MB/s
>>Out:      Current:   1.00 B/s  Average:   3.00 B/s  Max:  10.00MB/s
>>
>>and so on.  In other words, you need alignment of the text.
>>
>>So, why aren't you using the formatter string to specify a fixed
>>length for the numbers?
>
> Mostly because it would be confusing for people to read.  Second,
> because measurements aren't always done in bytes, and sometimes require
> no abbreviation, so I can't specify a length of %3.2lf%sB/s and get away
> with it.

Silly me, I read your message wrong, I think. The alignment of the
numbers does not matter, it's the alignment of the labels
(in/out/current/average/max/etc) that matters.  If I use left alignment,
all of the groups (in/out/icmp/etc) should left align.  Additionally,
the Current labels should be left aligned, likewise with Average and
Max. That is, if \t existed, and I used it. Here's an (ugly) example:

COMMENT:In:\t
COMMENT:Current:
GPRINT:in:LAST:%.2lfB/s\t
COMMENT:Average: