[rrd-users] Add output from different interfaces into one DS

Simone Felici - Alpikom Spa s.felici at alpikom.it
Tue Jan 13 15:16:51 MET 2004

Hello to all!

I'm new on the list and in RRD-Tool too...
Also I've a little question :)

I need to create a Graph with the sum of different interfaces (100Mbit/s
every int).

The values are taken via SNMP on a Cisco Device. (ifInOctets/ifOutOctets -
COUNTER32)

I need to sum all incoming traffic from these different interfaces into one
DS.
The same for the outgoing traffic.

This to create a graph with the total traffic of more than 150 interfaces on
a DSL Router .

My problem isn't take the informations via SNMP (while - snmpget) but HOW to
store it with RRD-Tool.

I've created the RRD file as follow:

rrdtool create file.rrd --start `date +"%s"` DS:total_in:COUNTER:600:0:0
DS:total_out:COUNTER:600:0:0 --step 300 [...]

Now, if I store all incoming traffic via SNMP, sum all into a variable and
store it into rrd file it's wrong because the variable is a COUNTER 32bit
and the sum is over 4294967295 (right?).

Also how can I collect and store all the traffic from these interfaces to
have a right graph and RRA?

Thank's!

Simon