[rrd-users] Re: Urgent help requested with rrdtool

Michael Boman michael.boman at securecirt.com
Tue Jan 13 22:19:23 MET 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 04:48, Serge Maandag wrote:
> > rrdtool create bandwidth.rrd \
> >         --start 1041350400 \
> >         --step 1 \
>
> If your highest resolution will be 5 minutes averages, I suggest you set
> the step size to 300 seconds.
> Updating your rrd database every second is a major overkill. You would
> ofcourse need to make a script
> That averages 300 values before it is put into the database.
Because of the output format from tcpstat that is not a simple thing to
do, hence I have to update it every second. The initial version of the
script actually did do 5 minute intervals, but because of tcpstat (who
only start counting the intervals on the first occurrence) it was too
complicated to get the time to start correctly for every protocol.

What the script is doing is that it runs tcpstat against the pcap file
several times (once per BPF filter) and the values are stored internally
and then run "rrdtool update" once per interval (second) that fills in
all the protocols (BPF filters) at once.

> You want the heartbeat of your DS's to be bigger than 1 second, to
> prevent updates being just out of time. Rule of the thumb: 2 times the
> step size.

I am working with "old" (pre-recorded) data, and I can accurately make
that 1 second update interval. But I followed your advice and made it
two seconds heartbeat instead.

> >         DS:http:ABSOLUTE:2:0:U \
> >         DS:https:ABSOLUTE:2:0:U \
>
> You're RRA's have a small mistake:
>
> >         RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:300:576 \
> >         RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:6:672 \
> >         RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:2:720 \
> >         RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:3:720 \
> >         RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:8:365
>
> Make that 6 * 300 = 1800 in the second line, 3600 in the third line, 3 *
> 3600 in the fourth line, etc.

Ok, thanks!

Best regards
 Michael Boman

--
Michael Boman
Security Architect, SecureCiRT Pte Ltd

-- Type: application/pgp-signature
-- Desc: This is a digitally signed message part
-- Size: 190 bytes