[rrd-users] Re: Peaks after reboots.

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Wed Jan 14 16:03:16 MET 2004

On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 03:14:55PM +0100, Bernard van de Koppel wrote:

> After reboot of monitored divices (routers and switches) I often get an peak
> value reported via RRD tool, unaware of the reboot of the device.
> Since i can easily test the sysuptime, I know when reboots have occured.
>
> Is there a way to store specific values into the rrd database, folowed by the
> real (first counter) value, after a reboot of an device???

Sure.  You know when the device was reboot.  You know the counter values
at that time.  You don't know what happened just before the reboot.

So:

at boottime-1: enter U (unknown) into the RRD
at boottime:   enter 0 (zero) into the RRD
at <now>:      process as usual.

The boottime is known, or can be calculated from "now" - "uptime".

HTH
Alex
--
begin  sig