[rrd-users] Empty/Unknown values in graph when it shouldn't be

Michael Boman michael.boman at securecirt.com
Wed Jan 14 18:34:15 MET 2004

I am trying to figure out why my bandwidth graphs for SMB traffic comes
out empty. As you may have read in my posts yesterday, I am working on a
script that draw graphs of bandwidth usage from various protocols.
Anyway, as you can see below my script feeds "rrdtool update" with
values for the im_smb variable:

[..]
Executing : rrdtool update bandwidth.rrd -trest_tcp:smb
1071705572:94916.00,1071705572:2028.00
[..]

but when I try to draw the graph I get absolutely zero data out of the
im_smb variable. I put in some 'GPRINT' lines into the graph so I was
sure that I didn't miss any tiny pixels in the graph, but they all
display 'nan' (Not A Number, right?).

The relevant parts of the "rrdtool graph" looks like this:

[..]
'DEF:im_smb=rrd/bandwidth.rrd:im_smb:AVERAGE' \
[..]
'CDEF:im_smb_k=im_smb,1000,/' \
[..]
'AREA:im_smb#00FF00:SMB' \
[..]
'COMMENT:Protocol' 'COMMENT:Max (KBps)' 'COMMENT:Average (KBps)\j' \
[..]
'COMMENT:SMB' 'GPRINT:im_smb_k:MAX:%3.2lf'
'GPRINT:smb_k:AVERAGE:%3.2lf\j' \
[..]

Could anyone hit me with a 3x4" clue bat why my graphs seems to be very
empty?

Best regards
 Michael Boman

--
Michael Boman
Security Architect, SecureCiRT Pte Ltd

-- Type: application/pgp-signature
-- Desc: This is a digitally signed message part
-- Size: 190 bytes