[rrd-users] Re: Empty/Unknown values in graph when itshouldn'tbe

Michael Boman michael.boman at securecirt.com
Thu Jan 15 16:33:38 MET 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-15 at 22:45, Serge Maandag wrote:
> > I believe I've got it working now. I set the step time to 300 seconds
> > and heartbeat to 600 seconds, while still feeding it per-second data.
> > Seems to work OK.
>
> That's better, two comments:
> - If I'm correct your final value will be the average of all submitted
> values in the 300 secs period, not the total
Well, I am looking for 5-minute averages so it should be OK - right?

> - You need to redifine your RRA's if you take a different step size.
> 0.5:300:622 would become 0.5:1:622

Yes, I already changed that. (I do learn from my mistakes ;) )

> > I want to thank you all for your most excellent help. You are the type
> > of people who make this sort of mailing list a pleasure to use. I'll
> > hang around to see if I can't return the favour ;)
>
> You're welcome. When you start with a technology, trying to help other
> people in mailing-lists can really boost your knowledge quickly.

Normally, when I know that I will touch a certain technology in advance,
I sign up for the relevant mailing list and see how other people are
doing and what are the most common "gotcha's" are.

Unfortunately this was more of a last minute thing so I had to ask you
do a lot of my trouble-shooting for me.

I use RRDTool to monitor my bandwidth usage, hdd temperature etc at
home. But the difference here is that I am processing data from pcap
files and not looking at the RX/TX values. This time I am also looking
on a per-protocol (as in FTP, HTTP etc) usage instead of raw
transmit/receive numbers.

My reason for using RRDTool instead of MRTG (at home) is that I don't
need a SNMP daemon running on my computer.. Less (software
installed/running) is more (secure, easier to update).

Best regards
 Michael Boman

--
Michael Boman
Security Architect, SecureCiRT Pte Ltd

-- Type: application/pgp-signature
-- Desc: This is a digitally signed message part
-- Size: 190 bytes