[rrd-users] Re: Show 1 month 5 min average?

Serge Maandag serge.maandag at staff.zeelandnet.nl
Sat Jan 24 00:18:43 MET 2004

> Is there any way to do this. I'm trying to show the maximum
> bandwidth our remote sites use over the course of the month.
> If I use -1m it gives me a daily average, I believe which
> does not give me what I need to justify increasing our bandwidth.

Well, it all depends on your rra's.
If you use standard mrtg rrd's, then well, first of all, your monthly
Graphs show a 2 hour average, not a daily average.

If you want to show them their peak usage, then you should use the
MAX rra when graphing, not the AVERAGE rra.
Ofcourse they'll ask how Long that peak endured. That will be hard to
answer, since all values are Averaged out over a 2 hours period.

You can ofcourse calculate something like the 95th percentile based on
5 minutes samples every day. Then you can tell them what their absolute
peak usage was, what their average use was and what should be good
enough
For them 95% of the time.

It's gonna take you some work, though..

Serge.