[rrd-users] counter problem

Giorgos Georgiadis georgio at ccf.auth.gr
Tue Jan 27 08:39:49 MET 2004

hi all.

i use rrdtool to graph the protocol traffic that goes through my router.
so, there are 7 counter values that i give to rrdtool every 5 mins.

what i want to ask is this. does rrdtool use specific maximum values for
counters (ex 32-bit or 64-bit)? and if it does, does it use the same max
for every variant. in my router when a counter wraps, all counters wrap
too, even they are far from the maximum value. how does rrdtool handle
this situation?

my problem is that my router does not use 32 or 64 bit max value for its
counter, but some other max value between them. and when one of my
values wrapped, all the others has to wrap too. at that time rrd tool
measured extremely high rates for every variable.

can anyone help for this situation? thanx