[rrd-users] Re: Counter reset to zero question

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Thu Jul 1 23:32:51 MEST 2004

On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 02:27:09PM -0700, Jack Tavares wrote:

> ProgramA keeps a counter.
> ProgramB queries ProgramA every N seconds to get the value of the
> counter
> 	and then stuffs them into an RRD
>
> At anytime, ProgramA can get it's stats reset
> (user actuated)
>
> ProgramB has no way to know that ProgramA's stats have been reset
> (other than having ProgramB remember the last value, and if the new
> value is less than that, insert an "U" into the RRD)

If your ability to detect resets from real overflows is none, you have
to process both as if they are resets.  That can be done using DERIVE
in stead of counter.  See the docs.

Alex

--
I ask you to respect any "Reply-To" and "Mail-Follow-Up" headers.  If
you reply to me off-list, you'd better tell me you're doing so.  If