[rrd-users] Re: RRDTOOL - SNMP & System Resources

Serge Maandag serge.maandag at staff.zeelandnet.nl
Mon Jun 7 13:17:54 MEST 2004

> I would suggest you stagger your jobs over the 5 minutes interval
> instead of trying to do everything at exactly every 5 minutes. Try
> 0,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 * * * * do 1/5th of the job
> 1,6,11,16,21,26,31,36,41,46,51,56
> 2,7,12,17,22,27,32,37,42,47,51,57
> 3,8,13,18,23,28,33,38,43,48,53,58
> 4,9,14,19,24,29,34,39,44,49,54,59

a little off topic, but in your crontab you can do:

*/5    to run it every 5 minutes starting at the beginning of the hour.
3-59/5 to run it every 5 minutes starting at 3 minutes past the hour.

Looks much more friendly that way.

1250 rrd files isn't that much, depending on the disk and cpu speed of
your box ofcourse.

> There are all snmpget checks... Maybe should find a way to
> stop the script
> if not finished within 5 minutes.... How?

that totally depends on how your script was written.

> Maybe it hangs and the cron continue to execute other
> scripts, until all resources are used.

I suspect so. You can set the time-out and retry values when doing
snmpget.
Also, think of a way to split your script in multiple scripts. If using
mrtg
to do the updates, increase the number of forks and/or spread the
targets
over multiple config files and update them seperately.

Serge.