[rrd-users] RRD migration

jon.hartman at verizon.com jon.hartman at verizon.com
Tue Jun 15 17:25:17 MEST 2004

In migrating from MRTG to RRDtool, I made the mistake of entering the
Logformat command BEFORE changing the frequency of the data polling. What
I ended up with is RRD's that check every minute but only record data
every five minutes. Anything new is at the proper 60 second resolution,
but all the legacy stuff is still out of whack.

I'd like to fix this, though I realize that you can't increase the
resolution of historical data, only decrease. What I'm wondering is if I
can dump the data, build new RRD's with 60 second resolution, duplicate
each record an additional 3 times and reimport it, thus giving me an
appropriate 60 second breakdown.

Any input into the process would be more than welcome. I've some PERL
scripting abilties so I could process an XML dump, if necessary.

Thanks in advance,

-Jon Hartman