[rrd-users] few questions about max value in rrd database

Andras Horvai andras.horvai at keystone.hu
Mon Mar 1 11:17:31 MET 2004

Hi All,

Let's suppose a real world example:
I have a 64kbps leased line I get the counters from router in bytes,
I represent them on graph in bits/sec, using CDEFs.
The max value 65000 (for input and output) in the rrd database, is this correct (so the correct value in bits)?

What happens when my leased line is upgraded by the provider eq. to 128 kbps? How to change the max
value? Should i dump the rrd in .xml format and change it manually or should i use the "rrdtool tune"
to change the max value. My experience is when i use rrdtool tune on an existing rrd database the
data collection stops. I'm using rrdtool version 1.0.35 what comes with the standard debian distribution.
What did I wrong?

Or set up a quite huge max value eq.: 100000000 (100 Mbit). And using CDEFs like this:
CDEF:cdefa=a,8,*,65000,GT,65000,a,8,*,IF  or CDEF:cdefa=a,8,*,65000,GT,UNKN,a,8,*,IF

Which way is the better (I mean set the correct max value or using CDEFs)?

Thanks in advance,

Andras