[rrd-users] Re: rrdtool export

Serge Maandag serge.maandag at staff.zeelandnet.nl
Tue Mar 2 12:36:49 MET 2004

> Hello everyone. I wish to extract an average from my RRDtool
> from the Linux command line interface.  I am able to print
> the number I want on a graph, but I am not able to extract
> the number any other way.
>
> Here is the command I am using to create the graph:
>
> `rrdtool graph images/$graphname \
> GPRINT:total4:AVERAGE:"%8.2lf %s"
>
> How would I go about extracting that number without creating
> a graph?  I have checkout out rrdtool xport and rrdtool
> fetch, but these do not seem to help me.  ANY help is greatly
> appreciated.

Rrdtool fetch will help you, but you will have to calculate the average
your self.
You can also use the graph statement you posted, leave out all line,
stack and area
statements and take out the G in your GPRINT. A PRINT statement will
print the value to
stdout, so you can grab it and put it in a variable.

Serge.