[rrd-users] Re: Slow-changing GAUGE question

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Tue Mar 2 20:17:55 MET 2004

On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 10:32:59AM -0800, Kimball, Conrad wrote:

> Currently I am recording once-a-minute snapshots of both the installed
> and the in-use counts so I can easily use rrdtool graphing to plot both
> values on the same chart.  It works, but because the installed license
> count changes infrequently the data points in the installed license DS
> is extremely redundant, consuming a lot of disk space, etc.
>
> Does anybody have a better idea about how to collect and plot both
> slowly- and rapidly-changing values?

Use two databases.  One of them has an RRA with a one-minute interval.
The other can probably do with 24 hours per row, perhaps even one for
every 7 days.

Combining these two datasources into one graph should not be a problem.

Try it out before you decide to do it.  You *will*not* be able to change
the number of installed licenses (in the RRD) at random times.  If the
RRA has slots of 24 hours, you will get updates at midnight UTC.  RRA
slots of 7 days will reflect the updates at time t where t=n*604800.
Updates _not_ at such a multiple *will* result in "strange" numbers of
licenses (100.5 licenses installed...)

If you understand all of this and can live with it, go ahead and save
some disk space.

HTH
Alex
--