[rrd-users] Re: I would like to create graph of real traffic

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Wed Mar 3 13:44:11 MET 2004

On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 01:11:00PM +0100, KAMARAD, David wrote:

> When i dump my .rrd file of interface i found that Inoctets and
> Outoctets as COUNTER are saved as RATE and not as real Octets. I don't
> know how i can graph real data sended and downloaded through interface.
> Have I created new database as GAUGE? I would like to have the RATE
> graph too.

You want to graph the actual values as returned by the router?  Yes,
that's GAUGE.  However, there are two things to consider:

1: counters overflow and/or reset
2: RRDtool will *always* perform normalization of the interval

If you don't like #2, you should use a normal database.

HTH
Alex
--
begin  sig