[rrd-users] Graphing to STDOUTusing PERL on Win32 with IIS

Mike_Bragg at teamhealth.com Mike_Bragg at teamhealth.com
Fri Mar 5 20:35:11 MET 2004

Hello,

I'm trying to create a PERL script utilizing RRDs:graph that dynamically
generates pictures without creating temporary files.
My setup is:
Win2k server
IIS
ActiveState PERL v5.6.1 build 635
RRDs shared PERL module.

I verified that using PERL as a cgi script works on the web server.  Here's
the PERL script I'm trying to run:
#---------------------------------
use RRDs;

$|=1;
binmode(STDOUT);
print "Content-type: image/png\n\n";

$rrd="\\path_to_data\\data\\site.1.rrd";

RRDs::graph ("-",
            "--step=300",
            "--start=-86400",
            "--end=-300",
            "--imgformat=PNG",
            "--x-grid=HOUR:1:DAY:1:HOUR:1:0:%H",
            "--vertical-label=bits per second",
            "DEF:inoctets=$rrd:input:AVERAGE",
            "DEF:outoctets=$rrd:output:AVERAGE",
            "CDEF:inb=inoctets,8,*",
            "CDEF:out=outoctets,8,*",
            "AREA:inb#00C000:In traffic",
            "LINE1:out#0000FF:Out traffic"
);
if ($ERROR = RRDs::error) {
      die "$0: unable to graph `$rrd': $ERROR\n";
}

  If I manually run the PERL script from a DOS window with the filename
specified as "-", the data is not sent to STDOUT.  All that is displayed is
the "Content-type: image/png" line.   If I use a filename such as
"temp.png" in place of the "-", the PNG file is generated.  When I go to
the URL for the PERL script with a browser, the browser just runs and runs
without stopping or giving an error.

Any help or examples will be greatly appreciated.

  Thanks,
  Mike