[rrd-users] Re: Adding white spaces to graph comments

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Thu Mar 11 02:24:41 MET 2004

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 10:16:08AM -0500, Mike.Fountain at worldspan.com wrote:

> The system command is in there after some other stuff.  I have a bunch of
> pearl that calls the DEF, CDEF, LINE, and so on for the graph and after I
> have all the bits I want I string it together and echo it to the system
> which creates the graph and can then be called by a web page.

You're missing the point.

First of all, please don't top-post.

> Not sure if this image will go through the list mailer, but if not
> basically the comment at the bottom only has one space between words
> instead of many:

I was not asking to see the image generated by rrdtool.

I wanted you to see the difference in quoting techniques when you are
using variables.  RRDtool is not printing the spaces because it is not
getting the spaces.  At least, that's what I suspect.

Your problem is not necessarily RRDtool related at all.  Try to pinpoint
the problem by taking rrdtool out of the equasion.  Use something simple,
such as echo.

Alternatively, run rrdtool "by hand" using many spaces in a COMMENT. See
if that works.  If it does, you are suffering from a problem in your perl
code, not from a bug in rrdtool.

Alex
--
begin  sig