[rrd-users] Re: RRD graph creation

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Mon Mar 29 00:06:46 MEST 2004

Pavel Ruzicka wrote:

>>OK, I'm going to play devil's advocate here: WHY is it not a good idea?
>>  Rateup would create the graphs all the time anyway.  By switching to
>>rrdtool, I get more disk IO efficiency because of the database format.
>

> 1. This is not a good idea, because you need much processor time for graph
> generating. For example, I have 6500 targets * four graphs = 26000
> pictures/5min.

Only the daily graph is updated every five minutes.  In addition, rateup
makes all of the graphs in a stock distribution of MRTG, so asking
rrdtool to make all of the graphs isn't any worse than stock rateup.

> OK at attachment (If mailing list doesn't break it) I send you debug from
> 14all.cgi script.

This is excellent - thanks for the information!

> I was write my own html index maker, which I run every 24 hours after
> cfgmaker. Next I have small stupid PERL CGI script, which make possible
> pattern search from HTML pages. For example descriptions from router
> interfaces.

I had to write my own config maker, as cfgmaker wouldn't build the
targets in a manner that would represent the logical grouping within a
DS3 that we currently use.

My config maker builds a per-card page and a per-port page, which
references the bandwidth and discard graphs in one configuration file
and the 95th percentile graphs in another config file.  It also builds a
list of customers per city, which very soon will span multiple routers
(but already spans multiple cards).  Therefore, in order to make a full
transition to rrdtool I need to do it in phases; otherwise rolling back
to non-rrdtool becomes too risky.

I envision writing the customer indexes, per-card pages, and per-port
pages manually, but then modifying the references to point to the CGI.
However, this is difficult to do in one batch.

Pete