[rrd-users] Assistance needed with rrdtool.

Chladek, Dave Dave.Chladek at nhmccd.edu
Wed Mar 31 17:50:58 MEST 2004

I'm relatively new to rrdtool and I'm trying to create a database that
contains the number of user logins that is updated every 5 minutes.  This
file is a straight ascii file which contains the data from last October as
'1067290801:220' thru today. The '220' is the number of users that were
logged in at that time.
I've tried several different ways of doing it over the last couple of days
and I am totally confused as to the outputs that I have created.   I know
it's got to be something simple but I've looked at it so much that my head's
swimming.  I'm at the point that I don't seem to be able to do it myself,
please, any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!!

I'm trying to show how many users have logged in daily, weekly, monthly, 3
months, 6 months, annually and over the last two - three years historically.
I'd like to see really nice rounded peaks with the highest number printed on
the graph if possible.  I have cut my scripts back to the minimum and am
trying to start over and the following is where I am right now...

rrdtool create udtusers.rrd \
--start 1067290500 \
--step 300 \
DS:users:GAUGE:600:0:500 \
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:600 \
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:6:700 \
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:24:775 \
RRA:AVERAGE:0.0:288:797 \
RRA:MAX:0.5:1:600 \
RRA:MAX:0.5:6:700 \
RRA:MAX:0.5:24:775 \
RRA:MAX:0.5:288:797 \

I have a script that loads the data from an ascii file using the update as
follows...

rrdtool update udtusers.rrd $i

I'm trying to graph the information showing any number of selections such as
daily, weekly, etc for any given period of time.  I feed the following via
prompted input for start date and end date with the following...

rrdtool graph users.png \
--title "Colleague UniData Users" \
--start "$SDATE" --end "$EDATE" \
--vertical-label="Number of Users" \
--lower-limit 0 -upper-limit 500 \
--width=640 --height=400 \
--imgformat PNG \
DEF:allusers=udtusers.rrd:users:AVERAGE \
COMMENT:"Chart Start Date is $Sdate and Ends $Edate"

I either don't get any data or the data is showing the vertical scale as
2.4k or 1.0 or 24m or each days data is showing in squared off peaks or just
a little line at the bottom of the chart. Like I said, I've tried it so many
ways that I'm just plain confused and my notes don't make any since anymore
and I'm lost!

I've looked in the archives and at this point I don't know what I'm looking
at anymore,  minimal sleep and overworked (as everybody is) and now I have
to ask and feel really 'stupid' for asking what has to be a simple problem
so please understand.

Thanks many time over,
Dave C.