[rrd-users] Re: Having problems with rrd graphs... help please

Fernando Nieto fnieto at satec.es
Mon May 10 09:45:26 MEST 2004

Hello Alex and everybody,

I've been using MRTG + RRDtool for more than 3 years, and later I have
developed some applications using RRDtool. It has been one month ago when
I've been awared of some behaviour I can't understand. I see you have a deep
knowlegde about rrdtool behaviour as you has made several contributions. I
trust you can help me to clarify my mind.

I'm polling for data from external sources and storing it into rrds every 5
minutes. I have GAUGE DS's and one AVERAGE RRA with steps=1. When I update
the rrd database I always force the timestamp to the last step multiple
(maybe the perl code it's clearer: $now=time(); $ts=$now-$now%$STEP).

Then if I receive the values 1,3,1,5,1 for one DS at t0, t1, t2, t3... my
rrd will store exactly those values:

             AVERAGE RRA  	MAX RRA
	10:00  	1		  1
	10:05  	3		  3
	10:10  	1		  1
	10:15  	5		  5
	10:20  	1 		  1

and these are also the values I get when I use rrdtool fetch. With steps=1,
the RRA will store exactly the same values even if I use AVERAGE, MAX, MIN
or LAST.

When I graph these data I think I should see the same info as when I fetch
it, even if my graph is 400x100 or 600x200.

You have told me this behaviour makes sense, I'd like to know how RRDtool
works in order to calculate the graph output, and how graph dimesions or
x-axis time range can affect to its calculation. Could you help with this?
Any reference will be welcome.

Thanks so much.
Fernando