[rrd-users] Re: Calculations

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Mon May 17 10:16:16 MEST 2004

On Sun, May 16, 2004 at 10:31:55PM -0700, Chitman Kaur wrote:

> I have a doubt with calculations....
>
> If my DS type = DERIVE and I get a value of 4 after 5 minutes of average then what is the real value of increment.
>
> Is it 4*300 = 1200
>
> or is it 4*5=20
>
> or there is some other way of calculation

The DS type does not matter.  What does matter is the CF.  You didn't
mention this so I'll assume you are asking about averages.

If the rate is "4 somethings per second" and the duration of the row is
300 seconds, then the _normalized_ increment would have to have been
4*300="1200 somethings".

Why does the DS type not matter?  Well, the DS type is how RRDtool should
calculate the rate.  After this is done, it will always be a rate.  This
rate is then stored in the RRAs.  When you fetch, you will always get a
rate no matter what the input method was.

HTH
Alex
--
I ask you to respect any "Reply-To" and "Mail-Follow-Up" headers.  If
you reply to me off-list, you'd better tell me you're doing so.  If