[rrd-users] Re: RRDTool graphs: various questions

John Murdoch John.L.Murdoch at ed.ac.uk
Mon May 31 09:57:30 MEST 2004

Hi Alex

On Thu, 27 May 2004 13:57:09 +0200 Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:

> On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 11:08:24AM +0100, John Murdoch wrote:
>
> > This does seem logical... but my other, more granular data is in a 15 min (--step 900) RRD, so updating at noon-only is impossible if I stay with the same RRD. :( I am guessing this is the cause of why MIN/MAX points are represented as continuous lines for the whole day. Should I construct a seperate RRD to hold the noon-based data? (see below for my DS/RRD layout)
>
> I have a database with a one-second granularity.  I sometimes update
> this database twice a day.  No problem.  Just make sure heartbeat
> allows it.

Yes, I checked this, but it would mean having to find a way to calculate the average and re-insert it. No matter - the horizontal lines are actually clearer on larger timescales. :)

> > Hmmm... this is puzzling me (using RRDtool 1.0.47). I've tried plotting the two different AVERAGES, but rrdtool graph seems to just pick the most relevant to the timescale and plots that twice. Here's my RRD layout (every 15 mins for 3 years):
> > "DS:users:GAUGE:1700:0:U", "RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:105120", "RRA:AVERAGE:0.75:96:1095", "RRA:MIN:0.75:96:1095", "RRA:MAX:0.75:96:1095"
>
> OK, when you try to fetch the RRAs from the same RRD it will currently fail.
>
> Rephrase:
> <AFAIK>
> You _can_ graph data from different RRAs on the same graph.  In order to
> aquire the data you need to fetch them from different RRDs.
> </AFAIK>
>
> But make sure you test this before you rely on what I say.

Didn't get round to testing this. Mainly beacuse I found out how to get alternative AVERAGE RRAs to display by utilising the '--step' option for rrdgraph... it was quite far down the documentation (I reckon it isn't a widely used thing in 'graph' compared to 'update').

Thanks for your help,

John