[rrd-users] most likely information to store

isp isp at bnjcomp.com
Mon Nov 1 07:36:12 MET 2004

I am new to rrdtool and learning piece at a time.  I "think" I now have a
handle on creating the databases and have been collecting data for about a
week now and that data looks ok.  So now I want to get my databases
collecting what I "believe" will be most useful to me.  Looking at MRTG it
seems that might be okay that way they did it to do same in rrdtool.  below
is what I believe I am going to do.  I am asking as I have not even gotten
to creating graphs and if someone here knows something that I should store
that I have not I would appreciate input.

Storeing  datarates kb/s, signal:noise ratios for radios: number of radios
associated: percentage of error rates: and about 6 other parameters.

times storeing:
for a daily graph average every 5 minutes and store 3 days
for a weekly graph average every 10 minutes and store 3 weeks
for a monthly graph average every hour and store 3 months
for a yearly graph average every 12 hours and store 3 years.

MRTG seems to do a pretty good job but I need a little more resolution for
my error rates and SNR's so I have (I believe) been wanting better
resolution.  Also on my screens the MRTG graphs  only take up 1/3 of left to
right screen so I stored more because if I want I can make better use of my
monitors.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks Terry