[rrd-users] Re: RRA definition

PAUL WILLIAMSON pwilliamson at mandtbank.com
Mon Nov 1 19:47:42 MET 2004

>>> "Sunil Modi (IT)" <smodi at bordersgroupinc.com> 11/1/2004 11:54:05 AM
>>>
>How can I define an RRA to capture every second as opposed to every 5
minutes?

>Right now I do RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:576 (captures every 5 minutes for 48
hours)

>I want an RRA to capture every second for 24 hours.  Is that
possible?

>Thanks,
>
>Sunil Modi

You really don't want to use RRDTool then.  Don't forget that it
"normalizes" the data, thus giving you potentially partially
incorrect information.  Run a script through cron, from the
command line or some other process if under windows.  RRDTool
is not going to give (IMHO) inaccurate results.  I've run RRDTool
in 1 second, 10 second, 30 second and 1 minute increments to
compare data and graphs.  I did this a while ago, but the best
option I came up with for graphing any time slice under 30 seconds
was to run a script that read in data and output it to a log file, then

import this data right into RRDTool once an hour to control exactly
the values of the data I wanted.  It was a long time ago, but I didn't

have the option of the potential for normalization, so I logged the
data to a text file with the time, then once an hour I took this data,

made sure I had 3600 points, and shoved them into a one-second
RRA.  I realize this may introduce errors, but I felt it was acceptable

rather than getting normalized data.

The lowest resolution I have in an RRA today is (I think) ten seconds.

Even that introduces too much error, but it is what was requested.

Paul