[rrd-users] Re: RRA definition

Sunil Modi (IT) smodi at bordersgroupinc.com
Mon Nov 1 20:14:56 MET 2004

> import this data right into RRDTool once an hour to control exactly
> the values of the data I wanted.  It was a long time ago, but I didn't
>
> have the option of the potential for normalization, so I logged the
> data to a text file with the time, then once an hour I took this data,

The RRD tool may normalize the data, but when using the "MAX" I'm able to get the most accurate data possible.

> made sure I had 3600 points, and shoved them into a one-second
> RRA.  I realize this may introduce errors, but I felt it was
> acceptable

I'm doing that right now, and It's going to a flat file and my output in the file is an executable that will automatically update the RRD's.  Why did you make sure that you had 3600 data points?

> rather than getting normalized data.
>
> The lowest resolution I have in an RRA today is (I think) ten
> seconds.
>
> Even that introduces too much error, but it is what was requested.

What would be the syntax to create the RRD to accept values every 10 seconds?

Thanks,

-Sunil