[rrd-users] Re: Help a new and slightly lost user! :(

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Sun Nov 14 20:20:01 MET 2004

On Sat, Nov 13, 2004 at 10:20:09AM +0000, Michael Thompson wrote:

> Sorry, I just read that message and realised it does not make any sense!

Indeed,  "it does not work" is a bit too vague

> What is happening is that it is logging data, but it is logging the verticle
> scale as k, it needs to show the difference in packets between each reading,
> and not have any m k or any other symbols apart from the amounts.

You already understand GAUGE may not be the best counter type.

The difference between each reading is not something you want to
use rrdtool for.  For these kind of applications you should choose
sql, access, or even a flat file.

If you want to see a rate, an amount of rejects per second, then rrdtool
is the tool to use.

As with any other counter, let rrdtool do the calculations for you.  Either
counter or derive should do.

> But that prints m on the GPRINT lines, and I am not sure of how to get rid. I
> am also not entirly sure of the accuracy of the results.

RTFM rrdgraph, stuff about units-exponent

HTH
Alex
--
You want an answer?  You'd better follow the following guidelines!
Linesize well below 80 chars. Reply to the list, not to me. Trim