[rrd-users] compilation problem on solaris 8 box

stelaras1 at vodafone.gr stelaras1 at vodafone.gr
Tue Nov 16 16:49:00 MET 2004

i 'am trying to compile rrdtool in my solaris 8 machine..

i have installed
* gcc-2.95.3
*libiconv-1.8
*libgcc-3.0
*distcc-2.13 ( trying to install a cc compiler)
Here is the output:

>sh configure --prefix=/usr/local/rrdtool
checking build system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.8
checking host system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.8
checking target system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.8
checking for a BSD-compatible install... config/install-sh -c
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... no
checking for nawk... nawk
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking dependency style of gcc... gcc
checking for a sed that does not truncate output... /usr/xpg4/bin/sed
checking for egrep... egrep
checking for ld used by gcc... /usr/ccs/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/ccs/bin/ld) is GNU ld... no
checking for /usr/ccs/bin/ld option to reload object files... -r
checking for BSD-compatible nm... /usr/ccs/bin/nm -p
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking how to recognise dependent libraries... pass_all
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... no
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking dlfcn.h usability... yes
checking dlfcn.h presence... yes
checking for dlfcn.h... yes
checking for g++... g++
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking dependency style of g++... gcc
checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... g++ -E
checking for g77... g77
checking whether we are using the GNU Fortran 77 compiler... yes
checking whether g77 accepts -g... yes
checking the maximum length of command line arguments... 262144
checking command to parse /usr/ccs/bin/nm -p output from gcc object... ok
checking for objdir... .libs
checking for ar... ar
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for strip... strip
checking if gcc static flag  works... yes
checking if gcc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions... yes
checking for gcc option to produce PIC... -fPIC
checking if gcc PIC flag -fPIC works... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking whether the gcc linker (/usr/ccs/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking whether stripping libraries is possible... no
checking dynamic linker characteristics... solaris2.8 ld.so
checking whether to build shared libraries... no
configure: creating libtool
appending configuration tag "CXX" to libtool
checking for ld used by g++... /usr/ccs/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/ccs/bin/ld) is GNU ld... no
checking whether the g++ linker (/usr/ccs/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking for g++ option to produce PIC... -fPIC
checking if g++ PIC flag -fPIC works... yes
checking if g++ supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking whether the g++ linker (/usr/ccs/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking whether stripping libraries is possible... no
checking dynamic linker characteristics... solaris2.8 ld.so
appending configuration tag "F77" to libtool
checking whether to build shared libraries... no
checking for g77 option to produce PIC... -fPIC
checking if g77 PIC flag -fPIC works... yes
checking if g77 supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking whether the g77 linker (/usr/ccs/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking whether stripping libraries is possible... no
checking dynamic linker characteristics... solaris2.8 ld.so
checking for local libpng use... no
checking for local zlib use... no
checking for perl... /usr/bin/perl
checking for shared library extension... so
checking for the C compiler perl wants to use to build its modules... no
Could not find the Compiler: "cc"
which has been used to build perl. You may have to compile
your own copy of perl to make this work. Binary perls often exhibit this problem

Please tell me what other packages do i have to use to compile RRD.

As far as i know cc is not a free tool from Sun, i am right??
May i use gcc insted of cc and how i can do that?? Do i have to change some links or paths??

thank you very much for your time and your help

Cheers,
St