[rrd-users] Re: RRD Graph

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Mon Nov 22 17:03:12 MET 2004

On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 10:55:04AM -0500, Sunil Modi (IT) wrote:

> DERIVE ABSOLUTE and COUNTER are reates of change.  GAUGE will give the actual number.  From your previuos post it seemed that you wanted to compare to previous values, but now it seems you just want the actual number.  Use GAUGE for the actual number.

All numbers in an RRA are rates.

Derive, absolute, counter and gauge determine how to compute such a rate.

GAUGE    -> It already is a rate. Just copy the rate.
COUNTER  -> Look at the difference between last time and now
ABSOLUTE -> A counter that starts from zero when you read it
DERIVE   -> A counter that can also go back

GAUGE will NOT give you the actual number.

Rates are still being normalized before they are stored as a PDP.
This means the rate may be different from what you gave to RRDtool.

GAUGE will NOT give you the actual number.

A number of PDPs will be subject to consolidation before they are
stored as a CDP.  This means the rate in the RRA may be different
from what you gave to RRDtool.

GAUGE will NOT give you the actual number.

Alex
--
You want an answer?  You'd better follow the following guidelines!
Linesize well below 80 chars. Reply to the list, not to me. Trim