[rrd-users] Re: regarding rrdtool and byte/octet to bit

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Tue Nov 30 12:40:46 MET 2004

On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 12:28:52PM +0100, Alfred H. Dahl wrote:

> When reading from routers and interfaces, the returned value is octets, or bytes, as some like to call it.
>
> Is there a functionallity to convert the output from the rrdtool-graph to get the drawing in bits?

Isn't there an example in one of the tutorials?

something like:

DEF:inbytes=path/to/your.rrd:in:AVERAGE
CDEF:inbits=inbytes,8,*
LINE1:inbits#FF0000:bps

> Today, I manipulate the value before inserting it into the rrdtool-datafile.

_IF_ you are going to do this at graph time, you will have
to chose between:

a) start all over again with a new rrd
and
b) create a complex CDEF that looks at the time and, depending on
   the time, does the multiplication by eight

I know the tutorial does have a similar example where it converts unknown
to zero, but only before a certain time.

HTH
Alex
--
You want an answer?  You'd better follow the following guidelines!
Linesize well below 80 chars. Reply to the list, not to me. Trim