[rrd-users] Re: Solaris install problem

Sorrell, Al Al_Sorrell at troweprice.com
Wed Oct 6 23:08:25 MEST 2004

A little more info, since you say you're "weak on Unix"...
The version of Perl that ships with Solaris is compiled with the Solaris
compiler - which almost nobody else uses. Almost all use the Gnu gcc
compiler. Problem that you would eventually run into is code
incompatibility. You probably first want to download the current gcc
compiler (http://www.sunfreeware.com/) is a handy site for all manner of
free Solaris software.

Then download and build a current version of Perl (http://www.perl.com)
- you can safely take the defaults.

After that, you'll be ready to try to start over at installing rrd,
including performing a fresh ./configure.

You might want to put the results of the configure to a file so that you
can look at it for errors/post parts if necessary: ./configure >
/tmp/configure.lis 2>&1

The last part says to send error messages to the same file (NOT
guaranteed to be in the correct order ( your mileage may vary! ;-)

The original make error basically says "I'm looking for a file called
'Makefile' and I can't find it". That's probably because the configure
step bombed.

Hope this helps.
Al

The content of this e-mail and any attachments is intended solely for the use of the named addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information.  Any unauthorized use, copying, disclosure, or distribution of the contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited by T. Rowe Price and may be unlawful.  If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail.