[rrd-users] Re: How does timestamp work?

Giovane Moreira giovane at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 20:31:35 MEST 2004

Well I did some tests here.

I found out how timestamp works. It converts your local time to GMT
time and then send you the timestamp:

eg: I'm in Brazil, GMT- 3hours.. if I type date +%s, it converts my
time (15:18) to 18:18 (GMT Time) and then return the timestamp.  That
means that timestamp depends on your zone time...

I did it linking /etc/localtime to Sao Paulo and GMT and run data command..

Other point I didn't explained on my doubt:

The step: My step is 86400 (you guys can think: Its so high..). I
wanna plot the total download of 1 day (not the rate per second, just
the total volume...eg: yesteday we got 70GB of downloads, so the graph
of yesterday must be a line that only changes on today's line... a
stairs graphs..).  But the question about step is that steps seems to
be based on GMT . If my step is 86400, it needs to receive new input
data in every midnight of GMT night.. (I mean, the step counter starts
on 0:0:0 at GMT, so a 1 day step should be upload every 0:0:0 GMT
time... ,no matter how you change your start point and update point by
removing 10800s from the start point)... If it's true, I can see no
solution to my problem... (I got an solution making my locatime file
pointing to GMT time..then I got right data graphs...)

First of all I tried to change starts points and update points... it
didn't solve nothing...
So I tried to attack another point: steps. And above you got my conclusions..

So Is there any hope to my problem? An core developer can pls explain
this? Thank you so much folks,

Giovane Moreira
RNP-Brasil