[rrd-users] Re: Less Compression

Serge Maandag serge.maandag at staff.zeelandnet.nl
Sat Oct 9 21:42:17 MEST 2004

> My data has an original timestamp of every 10 minutes and is
> already in the RRD (when a fetch is done, the times are 1800
> seconds apart; can this be shortened?).
>
> RRA:MAX:0.5:1:576
> RRA:MAX:0.5:6:576
> RRA:MAX:0.5:24:576
> RRA:MAX:0.5:288:576

This RRA definition is what defines the resolution of your data.
If you don't know how to read these numbers, then you really need
to read the rrd tutorial at
http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool/tutorial/

In short, you can increase the size of the first RRA, but doing so will
have a penalty.
An update or a graph of your database will take longer.
An alternative is to keep copies of older databases and use them for
history graphs.

Sege.