[rrd-users] Re: One data point missed causes 2 Unknown entries in RR Archive

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Wed Oct 20 14:38:08 MEST 2004

On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 10:47:36AM +0100, Prasanna Kumar Natarajan wrote:
> I create an RRD started at 1095606600, with step size 5 mins, & DST GAUGE,
> RRA has 12 rows, spans for one hour. No Consolidation is done as RRA
> Step size is 1.

Ack.

> [pnatarajan2 at trainer rrdtool]$ rrdupdate temp.rrd 1095606900:8 \
> > 1095607200:9 \
> > 1095607800:10 \
> > 1095608100:11 \
> > 1095608700:12 \
> > 1095609000:13

> 1095606600:  nan
> 1095606900:  8.0000000000e+00
> 1095607200:  9.0000000000e+00
> 1095607500:  nan
> 1095607800:  nan
> 1095608100:  1.1000000000e+01
> 1095608400:  nan
> 1095608700:  nan
> 1095609000:  1.3000000000e+01
> 1095609300:  nan

This is to be expected for COUNTERs.  Perhaps some internal RRDtool
routine does not distinguis between COUNTER and GAUGE.

For COUNTERs, this behaviour is normal (one counter sample is used
for two intervals) however for GAUGE this should, IMHO, not be the case.

Your example script seems valid so I don't think there's something
you can do apart from looking in the code and finding the "feature" :)

cheers,
Alex
--
You want an answer?  You'd better follow the following guidelines!
Linesize well below 80 chars. Reply to the list, not to me. Trim