[rrd-users] Re: CDEF - creating a increasing series

ciaran deignan ciaran.deignan at netcelo.com
Tue Sep 7 10:48:25 MEST 2004

Lars Rune Bjørnevik wrote:

>Thanks a million!
>It works perfect!
>
>Actually, this is an uptime display for a web server - not a trafficcounter... ;-)
>When I query the web, I get 1=up, 0=down
>A sum of this responce, divided by a sum of "ones" gives the uptime!

Actually I was using this technique to calculate uptime, but I stopped,
probably
because I still don't understand steps and pixel sizes (Alex's
explanation makes
my eyes water...)

Anyhow, my RRD object contains a "time since last ping", and I calculate
uptime
using "Average"...
Here (0 <= PingTime <= 361) - undef means the ping-ing process was absent...

                DEF:delay=$rrdfile:PingTime:AVERAGE
                CDEF:invalid=delay,UN
                CDEF:pin=invalid,100,*
                CDEF:up=delay,360,LE
                CDEF:pup=up,100,*
                CDEF:down=delay,360,GE
                CDEF:pdown=down,100,*
                CDEF:ping=down,UNKN,delay,IF
                LINE3:ping#0000ff:"Response Time"
                COMMENT:\s
                GPRINT:pup:AVERAGE:"Up %2.1lf%%"
                GPRINT:pdown:AVERAGE:"Down %2.1lf%%"
                GPRINT:pin:AVERAGE:"Untested %2.1lf%%"\r

hope this helps
Ciaran