[rrd-users] Re: CDEF - creating a increasing series

ciaran deignan ciaran.deignan at netcelo.com
Wed Sep 8 14:59:01 MEST 2004

Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:

>On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 06:23:04PM +0200, ciaran deignan wrote:
>

>>When I use this command to calculate a week's traffic, I get
>>different results depending on the step:
>>
>>Step    In              Out
>>600  21080378.37    41507111.69
>>1200 42160756.73    83014223.38
>>

>Guess what... RRDtool selected "600" despite you asking for 1200.

OK, results look much more coherent, thanks. Judo ;)
Its still a bit incoherent when the the counters are undefined, but
thats "just" strange.

This will only work when drawing an "void" graph, yes? There's no
obvious way to determine the per-pixel step when a real graph is being
generated. At least, the numbers I'm getting don't add up... Oh well ;)

>The "step" parameter to rrdtool graph is merely a suggestion.

humm... would still be "nice" if RRD provided the current effective step
during the calculation phase.

Thanks for the help Alex,
Ciaran