[rrd-users] Re: Specification of RRA Boundaries

Richard Nelson richard.nelson at optusnet.com.au
Tue Sep 14 10:23:10 MEST 2004

Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:

>In order to come up with a maximum of 24 hours starting and ending at
>10:00 UTC, you could experiment with a number of CDEFs.
>
>   DEF:h00=....
>   CDEF:h01=h00,PREV
>   CDEF:h02=h01,PREV
>   CDEF:h03=h02,PREV
>   CDEF:h04=h03,PREV
>   [...]
>   CDEF:h23=h22,PREV
>   CDEF:maxval=h00,h01,h02,h03....  MAX,MAX,MAX...
>   AREA:maxval

This, sadly, will not give me what I want (assuming you meant
CDEF:h01=PREV(h00) ). I filled up some rrds with some junk values and
even drew a little picture, and it will give me a rolling maximum for
the past 24 hours (ie, for each hour on the graph). Say there are 4
hours in a day:

    |               |              |
Hour| 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 1 | 2 | 3
-----------------------------------
h00 | 1 | 2 | 5 | 1 | 3 | 3 | 3
h01 | u | 1 | 2 | 5 | 1 | 3 | 3
h02 | u | u | 1 | 2 | 5 | 1 | 3
h03 | u | u | u | 1 | 2 | 5 | 1
max | 1 | 2 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 3

So I only get value I want at midnight (how can I use this?), no matter
where I specify start/end. I'm now finding it a bit difficult to see how
to do this - I guess I have the wrong idea about something. Any help will
be appreciated.

Thanks,
Richard