[rrd-users] Announcing yet another dynamic RRD cgi graph viewer

Haroon Rafique haroon.rafique at utoronto.ca
Thu Sep 30 18:12:08 MEST 2004

Hi list,

I have been using RRD for the past 2 years or so. Can's say enough about
the software. I figured it was about time I gave something back to the
community.

Announcing yet another dynamic RRD cgi graph viewer called simply rrd.cgi.
It is available at:

http://haroon.sis.utoronto.ca/mrtg/scripts/

Example output is ta:
http://haroon.sis.utoronto.ca/cgi-bin/rrd.cgi/

The script is written in perl and is based off of  Jan "Yenya" Kasprzak's
script mrtg-rrd.cgi

Some features are:

        * Like mrtg-rrd.cgi, my script supports on-the-fly HTML output and
          graph images.
        * This means that your cron job which could be running every 5
          minutes (or every 60 seconds) is only concerned with "updating"
          the RRD files.
        * The job of maintaining the graphs is handled by rrd.cgi which
          only creates graphs if someone requests them via their web
          browser and only if they are out of date (stale).
        * Yenya's script can only handle In and Out. By using my script,
          you can combine as many DEFs and/or create as many CDEFs as you
          like. (This does mean that you DO need to know more about DEFs,
          CDEFs and RRD, in general.)
        * Hourly/Daily/Weekly/Monthly/Yearly graphs
        * Suppression of Hourly/Daily/Weekly/Monthly/Yearly graphs
        * View the source of the RRDs::graph statement which generated
          each graph. If you were ever curious what commands were used to
          generate an RRD graph, this is for you. Example here.
        * Historical graphs. You can go back 1 to 7 days or 1 to 4 weeks
          or 1 to 6 months back or arbitrary interval. Example here.
        * Autorefresh of pages.
        * Ability to suppress autorefresh of pages.
        * Percentile values (not really implemented very well - bit of
          shoe horning going on).
        * Navigation up/down directory levels.

Comments are most welcome. As well as constructive criticism.

Thanks,
--
Haroon Rafique
<haroon.rafique at utoronto.ca>