[rrd-users] Re: Simple RRA Want to make it more Complex

Serge Maandag serge.maandag at staff.zeelandnet.nl
Tue Apr 26 13:39:33 MEST 2005

> I have a pretty simple rrd files that stores values I collect
> in a database
> every 15 minutes.
>
> I now want to make it a little like mrtg with a weekly avg, monthly
> avg and yearlt avg graphs..
>
> Can someone suggest some better rra options here ?
>
> my @options = ("-b", $START, "-s", $STEP,
>  "DS:a:GAUGE:1800:U:U",
>  "DS:b:GAUGE:1800:U:U",
>  "RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:999",
>  "RRA:MIN:0.5:1:999",
>  "RRA:MAX:0.5:1:999");

You have a little less than 15000 minutes or 10 days worth of samples
here. That'll make a lousy yearly graph.

You need enough samples to build a year worth of data.
You can go for one RRA that holds more than a year of 15 minute samples
or you can make several RRA's with consolidated (averaged) data.

The first solution will be quicker to produce, but the last one will be
quicker when graphing. I think I would go for:
- a little over 2 days worth of 15 minute samples
- a little over 2 weeks worth of 2 hour samples
- a little over 2 months worth of 8 hour samples
- a little over 2 years worth of 24 hour samples

So make 4 AVERAGE, MIN and MAX RRAs, each holding the amount of samples
mentioned above. the 999 in your example should in the first RRAs be:
2 days+ / 15 minutes = 193.

If your graphs are less than 193 samples wide, you can perhaps do with
30 minute samples. Same goes for the other RRAs.

Serge.