[rrd-users] Re: IEEE math problem compiling on AIX 5.1

DANIEL MAGNUSZEWSKI dmagnuszewski at mandtbank.com
Thu Aug 4 21:02:52 MEST 2005

We have run into that problem. I confirmed that you are having the same problem that we did. My co-worker stated that there is no way around it because of the way IEEE math is handled on the PPC chip.

So, you can do what we are doing, and get rid of the AIX server, and use an Intel running Linux ;-)

Daniel Magnuszewski
CCNA
M & T Bank
dmagnuszewski { at } mandtbank.com

>>> "Carter Gilmer" <cartergilmer at yahoo.com> 08/04/05 11:07 AM >>>
Hello,

It looks like other people have had similar problems
on different OS's, but not AIX 5.1?  I am trying to
compile rrdtool-1.2.11, and I get this in the output
when I run ./configure:

. . .

checking for finite... yes
checking for isinf... yes
checking if IEEE math works out of the box... no
checking if IEEE math works with the -ieee switch...
no
checking if IEEE math works with the -qfloat=nofold
switch... no
checking if IEEE math works with the -w
-qflttrap=enable:zerodivide... no
checking if IEEE math works with the -mieee switch...
no
checking if IEEE math works with the -q float=rndsngl
switch... no
checking if IEEE math works with the
-OPT:IEEE_NaN_inf=ON switch... no
checking if IEEE math works with the
-OPT:IEEE_comparisons=ON switch... no
checking if IEEE math works with fpsetmask(0)... no
checking if IEEE math works with
signal(SIGFPE,SIG_IGN)... no
configure: error:

Your Compiler does not do propper IEEE math ...

Here are the system specifics:

>gcc -v

Reading specs from
/opt/freeware/lib/gcc-lib/powerpc-ibm-aix5.1.0.0/3.3.2/specs
Configured with: ../configure --with-as=/usr/bin/as
--with-ld=/usr/bin/ld --disable-nls
--enable-languages=c,c++ --prefix=/opt/freeware
--enable-threads
--enable-version-specific-runtime-libs
--host=powerpc-ibm-aix5.1.0.0
Thread model: aix
gcc version 3.3.2

>oslevel *r

5100-05

The config.log has this at the start of the IEEE
section...

configure:22217: checking if IEEE math works out of
the box
configure:22298: gcc -o conftest -g -O2  -DPIC
conftest.c  >&5
ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .sin
ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .isnan
ld: 0711-345 Use the -bloadmap or -bnoquiet option to
obtain more information.
collect2: ld returned 8 exit status
configure:22301: $? = 1
configure: program exited with status 1