[rrd-users] Re: Adding a new ds to an existing rrd

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Fri Aug 19 21:23:54 MEST 2005

Dear Tim,

> Why are you RRD people so bad at giving simple advice? It seems
> like a nice tool, but trying to find one's way through the
> documentation is like hacking one's way through a jungle.
>
> May I suggest that _one_ source, properly identified,
> is much more useful that a large number of unspecified sources.

There is one source for rrdtool:

people.ee.ethz.ch/oetiker/webtool/rrdtool

I am sure google agrees ...

> Also a precise account of the exact commands given in a
> particular case is far more useful than a philosophical
> discussion of the issues. It is a hundred times easier to modify
> a given script to suit one's purposes than to write a script from
> instructions.

there are several example scripts included with the rrdtool
distribution and on the official website you can find
more material in the contrib section of the download area.

> I've yet to see a precise list of commands given (from beginning
> to end) in setting up a particular RRD with graphical
> presentation. This would be half the length of the various
> "tutorials" I have read, and would be twice as useful.

I suggest to work your way throught the official tutorials you find
on the website, they give you a good understanding of how things
work.

all the best
tobi

--