[rrd-users] resize: data doesn't match after resizing

Reinhard Scheck Reinhard.Scheck at team-scheck.de
Sat Aug 20 17:35:56 MEST 2005

I'm using rrdtool with cacti frontend for some time now. Just decided to
increase the number of rows of my original rrd that looks like

/usr/bin/rrdtool create \
/var/www/html/cacti-0.8.6d/rra/localhost_proc_7.rrd \
--step 300  \
DS:proc:GAUGE:600:0:1000 \
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:600 \
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:6:700 \
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:24:775 \
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:288:797 \
RRA:MAX:0.5:1:600 \
RRA:MAX:0.5:6:700 \
RRA:MAX:0.5:24:775 \
RRA:MAX:0.5:288:797

via "rrdtool resize /var/www/html/cacti-0.8.6d/rra/localhost_proc_7.rrd
0 GROW 8328" (same for RRA[4]).
Commands succeeds, INFO works. But comparison (rrdtool fetch ...
AVERAGE) yields:
1124537700: 1.1899333333e+02
1124538000: 1.1900000000e+02
1124538300: 1.1900000000e+02
1124538600: 1.1900000000e+02
1124538900: 1.1900000000e+02
1124539200: 1.1900000000e+02
1124539500: 1.1900000000e+02
1124539800: 1.1999666667e+02
1124540100: nan
for the original rrd and
1124537700: nan
1124538000: nan
1124538300: nan
1124538600: nan
1124538900: nan
1124539200: nan
1124539500: nan
1124539800: 1.0312899547e-311
1124540100: nan
for the resized one. Obviously that's not the same.
As far as I understood resize, it should add empty pdps but don't fiddle
around with existing values. Am I missing something?
btw: rrdtool is
RRDtool 1.2.11  Copyright 1997-2005 by Tobias Oetiker <tobi at oetiker.ch>
               Compiled Sun Aug 14 00:43:45 CEST 2005
from DAG binary RPM