[rrd-users] y-axis: how to get upper-limit at the top

Ruttenberg, Tanya Tanya.Ruttenberg at ssa.gov
Mon Dec 5 19:39:36 MET 2005

I am using drraw with rrdtool-1.0 to create these graphs.  I am graphing
router "reliability" which has a max of 255, and want to make the top of the
y-axis "255" like this:

 255 --------------------------------------
     |                                    |
 200 |                                    |
     |                                    |
     |                                    |
     |                                    |
     |                                    |
 100 |                                    |
     |                                    |
     |                                    |
     |                                    |
     |                                    |
 0   --------------------------------------

I don't actually care about what else is in the y-axis, I just really want
that 255 at the top and the 0 at the bottom.

I have tried this:

rrdtool graph - \
 --start=end-86400 \
 --lower-limit=0 \
 --title=Reliability Max 255 \
 --vertical-label=Reliability Score \
 --upper-limit=255 \
 --imgformat=PNG \
 --width=750 \
 --base=1000 \
 --height=180 \
 --rigid \
 --alt-y-grid \
 --interlaced \
 DEF:a=/data1/mrtg//CA/ssa-pitts-ca-w8cf01_fa0-24_25_reliab.rrd:ds0:AVERAGE
\
 AREA:a#008080:Reliability \
 GPRINT:a:MIN:Min\: %8.2lf%s \
 GPRINT:a:AVERAGE:Avg\: %8.2lf%s \
 GPRINT:a:MAX:Max\: %8.2lf%s \
 GPRINT:a:LAST:Last\: %8.2lf%s

Which gives me a graph like this:

     --------------------------------------
     |                                    |
 200 |                                    |
     |                                    |
     |                                    |
     |                                    |
     |                                    |
 100 |                                    |
     |                                    |
     |                                    |
     |                                    |
     |                                    |
 0   --------------------------------------

This:

rrdtool graph - \
 --start=end-86400 \
 --lower-limit=0 \
 --title=Reliability Max 255 \
 --vertical-label=Reliability Score \
 --upper-limit=255 \
 --imgformat=PNG \
 --width=750 \
 --base=1000 \
 --height=180 \
 --rigid \
 --alt-y-mrtg \
 --interlaced \
 DEF:a=/data1/mrtg//CA/ssa-pitts-ca-w8cf01_fa0-24_25_reliab.rrd:ds0:AVERAGE
\
 AREA:a#008080:Reliability \
 GPRINT:a:MIN:Min\: %8.2lf%s \
 GPRINT:a:AVERAGE:Avg\: %8.2lf%s \
 GPRINT:a:MAX:Max\: %8.2lf%s \
 GPRINT:a:LAST:Last\: %8.2lf%s

Gives me this:

 Inf --------------------------------------
     |                                    |
     |                                    |
 Inf |                                    |
     |                                    |
     |                                    |
 Inf |                                    |
     |                                    |
     |                                    |
 Inf |                                    |

Which is almost right, except I want actual numbers there not "Inf". I have
no idea what the Inf is or how to fix it.

Any way to get what I want here?

Tanya Ruttenberg - RSIS Contractor
OTSO/DNE/NMPEB
tanya.ruttenberg at ssa.gov